My efforts today revolved around Google’s search API. It took a while to find out how to search Google from Java. The first lead I found was an old page from Pace University’s CS department, which mentioned a “Google API” and the need for a developer key. It didn’t take me long to find out that they were referring to the SOAP search API. Unfortunately, Google stopped issuing API keys back in 2006, so it’s not an option for me. Almost a dead end.
JSONObject json = new JSONObject(builder.toString());
// now have some fun with the results...
So I fiddled with the code sample and JSON classes for a while and got it to work, in a limited capacity. The JSON format is actually very clear, once you figure out how to parse through it. I tried a few search queries, and discovered that the results returned by the AJAX interface aren’t necessarily the same as the ones returned by Google Web Search. Of more concern, however, I only got four results back at a time, and there were no instructions for getting the next page of results. One line in the output gave a “moreResultsUrl” but it pointed me to a web results page, not another JSON file.